Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Steampunk Parasol Holster


Whenever I am at an outdoor costumed event that lasts a couple of hours, I tend to bring a parasol to help with the sun, I tend to have a translucent skin tone and I want to keep it that way!!  For events that last longer than a few hours, I would tend to leave the parasol because I didn't want to carry it around, since I have a horrible habit of putting things down and forgetting them.  Recently, I had been seeing a few things on pintrest and etsy for parasol holders and I decided that I could try to make something to suit my needs.  I also felt it would be great to have it in time for the upcoming 3 day convention in Tucson, AZ I attended.


The first step I did was to trace the outline of the umbrella onto the leather and then add a half inch on each side for the rivets.










Next, I placed a piece of leather over the the parasol and fitted it to the piece underneath.  I then measured out the holes for the rivets and punched them out.








 I then decided it would be nice to have my fan handy as well, so I measured out a place for the fan and a covering piece.






To help decorate the holster, I embroidered the steampunk sinbonnet sue design from Urban Threads


Next, I sewed the fan pouch onto the top parasol cover and riveted the four corners down.







To finish the main body of the holster, I riveted the top piece to the bottom piece.  Boy did my hands hurt after this project!  With all the hole punching and riveting, I definitely had to develop some muscles in my hands.






To attach the holster to my utility belt, I made black leather loops that attached to the grommets I put in the holsters.


Here is the pic of the holster on the belt!  I am pretty happy with how it came out.  I wish my riveting was more even, but oh well, it still looks pretty.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment